The Homeowner’s Handy Pre-Roof Replacement Checklist
Updated: Sep 29, 2021
When your roofing system is already old and failing, there’s only one thing left to do: have it replaced pronto. But you may soon realize that a roof replacement is anything but straightforward. Before the actual work begins, you’ll need to cover a few essentials that can help make the process go on swimmingly.
Confirm that you actually need a roof replacement. Sure, some of the shingles are damaged, and you’ve had that leak for a while now. But are you certain your roofing system needs a replacement or just repair work? The only way to confirm is to have a local roofing professional perform a comprehensive inspection of the system. The pros can accurately determine your roof’s overall condition and, depending on the results, recommend the next step you’ll need to take.
Decide whether you want to stick to the same roofing material. You don’t have to be stuck with the same kind of roof for your home. Now that you’re getting a new one, you can opt to switch things up and choose something other than asphalt shingles. But this has its own pros and cons. For instance, if you pick a more premium roofing material, such as slate or tile, you can give your home a more striking look.
On the other hand, you’ll need to have your existing roof structure reinforced to accommodate the additional weight (since slate and tile are heavier than most roofing options), and this will cost you more. In this case, the safer and more cost-effective option is to go for the same roofing material. It won’t need an extra support structure, and you already know that it works well with your home’s overall look. Still, the final decision is up to you.
Check in with your local homeowners association (HOA). Customization is half the fun in a roof replacement, but before you get too into it, make sure to get that pre-approval from your HOA (if your neighborhood has one). This way, you can check whether that roofing material or color you like is breaking any rules or covenants. The guidelines and limitations involved with a roof replacement - especially in regards to the roof’s appearance - vary with each HOA. You can work with a local roofer like A1 Quality Roofing, Inc., who already knows their way around the HOA pre-approval process. You can increase your chances of having your roof replacement greenlit with us as a guide.
Make sure you have the necessary building permits. Aside from the HOA, you’ll also need to get approval from your local building department. This means acquiring the required permit, which is intended to ensure your roof replacement plans will adhere to local standards for land use, zoning and construction. Moving forward with the project without a permit has some serious consequences, ranging from hefty fines and potential litigation, to even forced roof removal. If you’re hiring a pro for your roof replacement, the responsibility of getting a building permit falls to the company. Pro tip: if your contractor refuses to get a permit and tries to convince you to start the job without it, you might want to look for another.
Hire a reliable roofing company for the job. This is one of the most important decisions you’ll have to make in your roof replacement. Given how the success of your project will depend on your choice of roofer, you’ll want to make sure you’re working with the right one. But you’ll need to actually find one first. You can either search locally via the web and narrow your choices based on the company's ratings and reviews. Another option is to ask family and friends for referrals. Sure, they are a bit old-school, but referrals can still give you a clearer idea of how a given roofer in your area does business.
A1-Quality Roof Replacement Services You Can Trust!
Homeowners in and around Corona, CA, know that when it comes to stress-free roof replacement service, the only name to call is A1 Quality Roofing, Inc. There are many reasons why we’re still one of the top residential roofing contractors in the area. How about we count the ways? We are:
1. Fully licensed, bonded and insured. A1 Quality Roofing, Inc. has all the necessary qualifications that make us eligible to perform roofing work in the area. These include workers’ compensation and liability coverage. You always know you’re protected when you hire us for your roof replacement. And, because we are already deeply familiar with the building requirements and safety regulations specific to this area, we can ensure your project will be up to code.
2. Experienced. Since 1991, A1 Quality Roofing, Inc. has provided Southern California homeowners with unmatched solutions to all their roofing needs. Whether you need roof repair or replacement, you can count on us to deliver only superior workmanship backed by 30 years of industry experience and the highest standard in customer service. Expect no errors nor callbacks - only a positive and enjoyable experience from start to finish.
3. Certified by the leading roofing manufacturers. At A1 Quality Roofing, Inc., our customers are our top priority. We want you to have access to more and advanced options, and benefit from the latest industry trends and technology. One way we can make this possible is by earning certification from North America’s largest roofing manufacturer, GAF. As a GAF-certified roofer, we can offer you some of the toughest and most versatile shingle roofing systems available today. You’ll not only benefit from their reliable weather performance and timeless beauty, but from the solid warranty coverage included with them, as well.
4. Customer-centric. We are always ready and able to answer any questions or address any concerns you may have about your roof repair or replacement. After all, A1 Quality Roofing, Inc. aims to exceed your expectations. You can trust us to give your project the full attention it deserves.
5. Well-reviewed. A1 Quality Roofing, Inc. is Google Guaranteed, meaning we have passed Google’s roofer screening and qualifications process. Not only that, we maintain an A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau. When talking about workmanship quality, A1 Quality Roofing, Inc. is content to let the online reviews we’ve received from pleased customers speak for themselves.
As one of the area’s most trusted roofing contractors, A1 Quality Roofing, Inc. will make sure your project goes safely and smoothly. In fact, you can always expect the highest quality results when you choose us to handle your roof replacement. We proudly serve Corona and the rest of Southern California. Call us at (951) 877-4406 today, or fill out our convenient contact form to schedule your roof evaluation. We look forward to hearing from you!